Why Blogging is Good for your Business

Why Blogging is Good for Your Business


There is something slightly unnerving about writing a blog post about blogging, but here goes…

Blogging has been around for 20 years, but I still get asked “Why should I be blogging”, so here are 7 reasons why your business needs a blog on its website.

  1. Improves your Google Ranking

Google likes fresh content, so regularly updating your blog will help your website rank higher in search results, and Google will then crawl your site more regularly too once it realises that it is being regularly updated.

It will also increase the number of pages on your website (each blog post should be a new page), which will help convince Google that yours is an important website and worth ranking more highly.

  1. Helps you get found on Google

If you blog about topics related to your business, you will probably use the terms that people will be looking for when searching for businesses like yours, so it will improve your SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). You can research the terms people are looking for using the Google Keyword Planner.

  1. Builds your Reputation and Trust

A blog gives your business the opportunity to show off their collective knowledge, which will help convert readers into buyers. It may get you other opportunities such as speaking at events too.

  1. Shows off your Knowledge

You are an expert in your field. None of that claiming “We are market leaders, blah blah,” you can actually show readers that you know what you are talking about.

  1. Tells people what you do

A good blog has lots of posts so it gives you lots of opportunities to show all of the things your business can do. Client case studies can also make great blog posts, demonstrating your knowledge, and how you go the extra mile for your clients.

  1. Creates Content to share on Social media

Not everything you share on social media needs to be your promoting your own business – but it is easier to promote your own business if you have blog posts which you can share on your social media profiles, whether that is Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin. Remember the 80:20 rule – around 20% of your posts should promote your business, the other 80% should be sharing information which aims to inform, educate and entertain.

  1. Creates Content to use in Email Marketing

A good blog works hand in hand with email marketing too. Each email newsletter can introduce the blog articles, and then link back to them.

If you need to learn more about how to blog, check out my next blogging workshop here.

Photo by Corinne Kutz on Unsplash